Travel emissions make up the majority of an event’s impact.
From the audience members, to crew and artists through to the suppliers, there is a real need to try to balance the emissions with positive, ecologically conscious projects whilst the world transitions to cleaner transportation systems.
- We imposed a small, obligatory fee on those purchasing car or campervan passes for the festival (£1 for a car, £3 for a campervan)
- In 2016 we surveyed our audience about what to do with these ‘carbon offset donations’ donations.
- They voted we create an independent charity, and so we birthed ecolibrium in partnership with a few other friendly festivals – to tackle the festival industry’s travel emissions.
- Ecolibrium has worked with over 100 festivals to implement more sustainable travel planning, whilst balancing the equivalent of 19 million travel miles.
- It has made investments in projects: planting over 40,000 trees investing in 10 renewable energy projects and protecting 12,000 acres of rainforest.
- Kambe balances 100% of emissions from the festival operations and crew travel by investing in projects which quantifiably avoid or reduce carbon.
- You can see our third party environmental assessment here, which shows our footprint for 2019.