We wanted to make a place to party, free our minds, open our hearts, learn, discuss, be inspired and to see what is achievable as a community and, in 2001, Shambala Festival was born.
Shambala is so much more than just a monumental party. It’s a haven, a think-tank and a happening all infused with heartfelt, purposeful hedonism. It’s a space to play, to reinvent, revitalise. It’s a playground, a realm for wild experimentation and alternative education where unforgettable life skills are shared, learned and applied.
Shambala is completely and utterly committed to being sustainable, circular, regenerative, net positive, earth & life respecting, and future thinking – it’s in our DNA. Our green practices are considered truly pioneering world-wide. We have reduced the festival’s carbon footprint by over 90%, achieved 100% renewable electricity, become meat fish & dairy-milk free, and eradicated single use plastics.
- International Folk Music Awards 2023 – Clearwater Award
- The Innovation Award at the 2018 UK Festival Awards, in recognition of our pioneering sustainability practices.
- We’ve won the International A Greener Festival Award five times to date – also picking up their ‘Inspiration Award’ in 2012.
- Chris Johnson (Co-founder, Operations Director and Sustainability Lead) was awarded the Green Pioneer 2018 award at the P.E.A Awards – the UK’s leading sustainability awards.
- Creative Green 5 Star Rating (the first festival to have ever achieved this! Find out more about that, HERE)
- Creative Green Awards 2017 – Outstanding Achievement Award
- European Festival Awards 2016 – International Green Operations Award
- The Festival Congress Emmet Brown award for Fuel Efficient Technology
Shambala would be the number one festival on our list, the first name on our festival team sheet. This is simply the best adventure that you can currently have in a festival field. End of.